Miniature Folding: The Cost-Effective Alternative to Small Instruction Booklets
Many consumer goods come with a small instruction manual. Often referred to as an owner's manual, product handbook or user guide, this bound document instructs the user on the proper assembly, installation, operation and/or maintenance of the product.
A good number of these small product manuals are created as saddle-stitched (staple bound) booklets. However, in many situations, the Miniature Folding method is a better alternative than the booklet format.
What is Miniature Folding?
Miniature folding is a specialized operation that reduces a sheet of instructions, or other printed information, into a very condensed size. Printing on a single large sheet and then folding it down to a small size allows product manufacturers an economical and effective way to fit a great deal of printed information into a compact size.
Just like a booklet, miniature folding allows the instructions to convey a high level of detail, contain data on more than one product model, and/or incorporate multiple languages. But when it comes to instruction and product manuals, a miniature-folded document has several advantages over the small booklet format.
These advantages include-�
- Cost Savings - when produced in volume, it is less expensive to print and fold a single sheet than it is to print, assemble and bind a multi-page booklet.
- Improved Flow of Information - once the sheet is unfolded, the flow of information can be viewed all at once without the need to turn pages. This is particularly beneficial for an assembly guide or other instructions containing sequential tasks or steps.
- Expanded Print Area - when unfolded, the printed sheet can be quite large. This allows diagrams, images, templates, text and other content to be displayed in a larger format than would be possible using the pages of a small booklet.
- Distinct Sections - the fold lines create distinct panels for the information being presented. Depending on the layout, these panels can be used to divide the printed information into logical sections or different languages, or help separate the instructions for multiple products.
- More Size Options - a mini-folded document can be produced with dimensions and proportions that would be impractical for a bound booklet. For example, a finished size of 1" x 5" would work well for a mini-fold but not for a booklet.
If you have a need for printing and miniature folding, give Formax a call at 866-367-6221 or fill out our easy quote request form by clicking here. We look forward to helping you achieve a cost-effective miniature folding solution.
Take care! Rick