twin loops add a distinctive look
Wire-O Bound Books
Wire-O Binding adds a modern look.
Wire-O Binding, also known as Twin Loop, Double-Loop, Double-O, Duo-Wire, or simply Wire Binding, is an attractive method for joining the pages and cover of a bound document.
Wire-O binding offers many of the same benefits as spiral coil binding, but is more sophisticated in appearance. As such, it produces a very impressive document. Also, it can accommodate pages and inserts of varying thicknesses, including dividers or index tabs made from heavy cardstock. Wire-O spines come in several sizes and colors to accommodate different page counts in books.
The Wire-O binding method utilizes pre-formed pairs of wire loops that run along a C-shaped unit. These wire loops are inserted through holes that have been punched through the book's cover and pages. The loops are then crimped closer together until they form a perfect circle, thus securing the cover and pages as an assembly, yet allowing them to open freely cover-to-cover (360 degrees). Once the book is turned to a desired page, the book will stay put without having to use your hands to hold it open.
Wire-O binding is a good choice for workbooks, cookbooks, study guides, manuals, maintenance guides, assembly guides, flipbooks, repair manuals, presentation books, directories, training manuals, multi-page calendars, travel books, and any other books that would benefit from being able to lay flat for quick and easy reference.
How Wire-O Binding Works:
1. The wire-o coils on the metal spines are open wide so that each look looks like the letter C.
2. Small holes are punched along the edge of the inside pages and cover.
3. The open loop of the coil is inserted through all of the holes to hold the cover and the pages together.
4. The wire-o coil is squeezed until they close to form a complete circle around the pages.
The closed loops forma complete circle. You can now freely rotate the cover and pages around the coil and open your book a full 360 degrees.
Benefits of Wire-O Binding
- Books open 360 degrees (cover to cover) which allows them to fold flat and lie flat for easier reference.
- The dual wire coils add a very distinctive appearance to bound documents.
- It is a readily available binding method.
- Can be used for very short production runs...for example, 200 books.
- This method is excellent for wall calendars and planners because it allows them to hang completely flat against the wall.
- This binding style works well with index tabs.