Book Printing: The Many Benefits of Saddle Stitch Binding
Of all the softcover book binding methods we offer, Saddle Stitching is the most popular. We use this method for a variety of book types including catalogs, manuals, booklets, programs, multi-page brochures, newsletters, periodicals, wall calendars and mailers.
Saddle Stitching is a relatively simple method which joins the folded pages and cover with at least two wire staples placed through the crease of the book's spine. Though simple, the result is a very professional looking document.
Saddle Stitching offers the following Benefits:
1. It is the least expensive binding method.
2. The turn around time is generally quite fast.
3. It can be used for very short production runs…for example, 200 books.
4. Books can be made with a heavier weight cover or as "Self Cover" books. Self Cover means the cover is the same weight of paper as the interior pages.
5. It allows for books to be made in a wide range of sizes - small like a pocket guide or large like a road atlas.
6. Books can be hole punched along the spine for insertion into a ring binder.
7. Relatively easy to design and can accommodate artwork or images that span two adjacent pages (crossover images).
8. Adds minimal bulk or weight to the printing, so it is especially good for pieces that will be mailed.
9. Can be printed in full color, with plain black ink or in any ink combination.
A Few Things to Keep in Mind.
a. At a certain page count, a Saddle Stitched book will become too bulky to fold properly. The page count at which this occurs is dependent on the thickness of the paper you select but in our experience the limit is usually around 64 pages to maintain a nice flat appearance.
b. The spine of a Saddle Stitched book cannot be printed upon because it is not a flat surface.
c. Because a Saddle Stitched book is created from folded sheets, the page count must be in multiples of four.
If you have any questions about Saddle Stitching or any other book binding or book printing questions, just give us a call or send us an email. We can help.
Take care! Keith