PUR Perfect Binding: Five Book Projects that Benefit from PUR Adhesive
Polyurethane Reactive (PUR) is an adhesive used in book binding. It is the most durable and flexible book binding glue available. PUR adhesive is most commonly associated with softcover books that are bound with the Perfect Binding method.
Because of its superior performance, PUR can be used in perfect bound applications where Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) and other traditional adhesives may not be well-suited. These applications include-�
1) Perfect Bound Books that are created for Children - Young children have a tendency to handle books very roughly. Fortunately, the flexibility of PUR adhesive prevents the spine from cracking when the book is opened wide or pressed down flat. Also, despite the tugging and twisting of small hands, the cover and pages remain securely fastened at the spine.
2) Perfect Bound Books that will see Frequent Use - Because it is strong yet pliable, books bound with PUR adhesive are able to withstand the rigors of repeated opening and closing. Also, it is nearly impossible to pull a page out of a book bound with PUR adhesive.
3) Perfect Bound Books that will be Subject to Extreme Temperatures - Whether your books will be used in temperatures as low as -40 � F or as high as 200 � F, the PUR binding will remain strong, flexible and intact. No more fractured spines from the bitter cold or pages coming loose in the intense heat.
4) Perfect Bound Books that have Relatively Few Pages - The recommended spine width for a traditional perfect bound book is around 1/4", but with PUR binding the spine can be as narrow as 1/8". This is because PUR adhesive does not need as much surface area to firmly secure the book's pages.
5) Perfect Bound Books that have Glossy Pages - Unlike traditional perfect binding adhesives, PUR adheres extremely well to pages that have a smooth, glossy finish. This means the pages of your bound document can be finished with a gloss coating - such as a varnish, aqueous or UV coating. In addition, you can also use pages that have a protective film applied - such as a laminate or mylar.
If you have any additional questions about the benefits of PUR Binding, or would like a quote on an upcoming softcover book project that would benefit from being bound with PUR adhesive, give Formax Printing Solutions a call at 866-367-6221. Softcover book printing and binding is one of our specialties, so we look forward to assisting you!
Take care! Rick