Successful Postcard Design
To get a good response, be sure to include the following seven elements on your Postcard…
1) The first element is a Clear and Bold Heading. The heading is extremely important because its goal is to capture the recipient’s attention. Needless to say, it must make an enticing statement to encourage the recipient to look at the rest of the postcard. The heading should also be relatively brief so that it can be read and understood in a glance.
2) The next important element is to Focus on Benefits. In marketing, it is sometimes tempting to focus on the features of products and services, rather than the benefits. However, the first thing consumers want to know when making a purchase decision is how the product or service benefits them. For example, “this furnace has a high-efficiency blower motor” is a feature…whereas “save 30% on your heating bills this winter” is a benefit. Remember, features tell – benefits sell.
3) Make use of Full Color to enhance your message. The creative use of color not only helps focus attention immediately, it also holds the recipient’s interest longer. Full vibrant color also helps project an image of high quality. And, as the saying goes…Color Sells!
4) The fourth element is at least one Picture or Graphic that supports your message. People are more visually stimulated by a picture than by words alone. As such, people will spend more time looking at your postcard if it contains pictures. Also, displaying a picture of a person (or persons) interacting with a product or service is much more intriguing than showing a static object or scene.
5) The fifth element is a Compelling Offer stated in a clear and concise way. The offer is the incentive that motivates people to act. State only one simple offer on the postcard because, just like the main Heading, your goal is to quickly grab the attention of the recipient and create interest.
6) Now that you have the recipient’s attention and interest, you need a Call to Action. This is a clear explanation of what the recipient must do in order to get what it is you are offering. We’ve all seen calls to action such as Call Now…Schedule a Free Consultation…Limited Time Offer…Order Today…Sale Ends Soon…Contact Us for More Information. Don’t make the call-to-action too complicated if you want your postcard to bring results.
7) Finally, in order to take action your recipient must have your Contact Information. Display your phone number(s), email address and website so they are clear and easy to find. Try to put a method of contact on both sides of the postcard if the design permits it.
Before you even begin designing a postcard, we recommend you contact us for advice. There are specific rules that govern the dimensions, paper thickness, postage rates, and certain design elements, such as the placement of the recipient’s address.
There are also different delivery options associated with a postcard campaign, such as presorted standard (formerly known as bulk mail) or first class. Knowing all your options up front will save you money and headaches down the road.
To learn more about Postcards and how a Postcard Campaign can help promote your business or organization, give Formax a call at 314-434-5500 or 866-367-6221...or simply fill out the Form below and we will contact you.